Pages

Wednesday 2 April 2014

Ginger and spring onion sauce



A few weeks ago, I was talking to Mr Duckie about his favourite kinds of food. He thought for a while, and then said "I really like the green sauce, the one that your Dad makes." This left me rather confused - I thought at first that he meant something like salsa verde or chimichurri, but my Dad has never made either of these sauces!

I questioned him further, asking him what the sauce was normally served with. He replied, "It usually comes with the white boiled chicken." And then I realised what he was talking about! Except that my Dad doesn't actually make either of these things - he simply buys the white cut chicken and the accompanying sauce from our local Chinese barbecue meat shop!

So what is this magical sauce? It's actually a very simple mix of spring onions, ginger, salt and oil. Despite the simplicity, the sauce adds that special extra lift to whatever it is served with. As Mr Duckie and I are not eating meat at the moment, I served the sauce with some poached salmon. And to make it really like a Chinese barbecue style meal, I also added some rice and bok choy.


The recipe made quite a bit of sauce for two people, but Mr Duckie and I managed to finish off a fair amount of it! I kept the rest in the fridge and had it again a couple of days later with some rice and a boiled egg - and again the sauce made my simple lunch quite delicious!

I hope you enjoy trying this sauce with your favourite meat, or even simply with some rice or noodles!


Ginger and spring onion sauce

Adapted from Cook, Snap, Savour

Ingredients

4 spring onions, finely chopped (both the green and white parts)
Approx 50g or two thumb sized pieces of ginger, peeled and finely grated
1/2 tbsp salt
1/2 cup canola oil

1. Mix spring onions, ginger and salt in a heatproof bowl.
2. Heat the canola oil for about 1 minute. Pour over the spring onion and ginger mixture (it is best to place the bowl on a tray or in the sink in case the oil splatters everywhere, or your bowl breaks!).
3. Stir to combine and then serve with your favourite meat!



No comments:

Post a Comment